Sunday, September 5, 2010

On marriage

Tonight at church we sang "The Greatest Commands", which is one of my favorite songs. I got teary-eyed towards the end. The song is based on 1 John 4:7-12. 

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."

This is such a profound reflection on God's love for His people. One of the verses that our minister is going to use in the wedding ceremony is Ephesians 5:25. This verse tells husbands to love their wives in the same manner that Christ loves the church. It is a sacrificial, pure, and profound love. 

As I think about marriage, these verses are close to my heart and mind. Although I have yet to experience what it is like to be married, I have a pattern to go by found in God's Word. 
I am so looking forward to M and I finally being husband and wife. I pray that we can serve God together as we learn even more what marriage is all about. 
-Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment