Monday, February 21, 2011

Mississippi Mud Cookies



To my knowledge, I've never had Mississippi Mud Cake. So, I can't vouch for these cookies tasting just like their namesake. I can vouch for the fact that these cookies are something special.

I was looking through the fabulous cookbook M gave me for Christmas, Southern Living's 1001 Ways to Cook Southern, for an easy cookie recipe. I had all the ingredients and I had some marshmallows that needed to be used. It was a match! The recipe is simple, but the marshmallows make the cookies extra chewy. After one bite, I was hooked! They are chewy, chocolatey, fudgey, and just plain good!

I found a link to the recipe from Southern Living's site. You can view it here if you like. I made a few changes. The cookies don't look like much, but I firmly believe yummy food doesn't have to be pretty :)



Mississippi Mud Cookies
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup softened butter (room temp)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs (large or extra large)
1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup milk chocolate chips
around 1 cup marshmallows

1. Preheat oven to 350. Microwave semisweet morsels in a small glass bowl 1.5 minutes until smooth, stirring after 1 minute.
2. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed in mixer until creamy, add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate.
3. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Gradually add to chocolate mixture. Mix well. Stir in milk chocolate chips to combine.
4. Spoon onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Press 3 marshmallows into each piece of cookie dough. Bake for 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment